Range Roaming – Wyoming 2013 – Days 50-51

The flu hits hard: Thermopolis – June 3 and 4

Monday June 3, 2013

June 3

Uggghhh. Last night I slept. Sort of. I alternated between stifling hot and freezing all night long. I wake in the morning unable to lift my head. My throat is so sore I can barely swallow. I also am immobilized by a general achiness and fatigue that says we will not be doing anything at all today, let alone a day ride down the Wind River Canyon. The only thing I manage today is to slobber and snot all over my makeshift pillow and crawl out of the sleeping bag to go pee on occasion. I also manage to woozily weave my way to the office and pay for another night, since I know I’m going nowhere tomorrow.

June 4

Sometimes you feel so crap, you just wish you could die to end the misery. That was yesterday. I can lift my head today. It doesn’t hurt as badly to swallow. I still feel like shit, but I don’t want to die. We’ll call it an improvement.

I manage to walk to the nearest pharmacy and go through the rigamarole to get the good stuff – pseudoephedrine. The pharmacist is very kind and figures out a way to circumvent the Australian address on my licence. He’s interested in my trip – but the whole time I’m there, all I can think about is how hot I am and how out-of-body I feel. Once I get the drugs, I decide I should ride up to the hot springs.

The public pool has a time limit because it is kept at quite a hot temperature. So going in the pool while I still have a fever is probably not the best idea.

I hope the supposed healing waters work quickly, because I’m only in there for about 30 seconds. I’ve barely gotten myself wet when I realise that the world is starting to recede, spin and narrow. Crap!

I haul myself out and sit on the edge of the pool with my head on my knees, trying not to pass out. Once I think I might be able to make it to the change room, I stand up woozily and wobble toward the ramp. I grab the handicap rail on each side with both hands and shuffle toward the change room. Once inside, I sit on the bench with my head down for about 20 minutes before I can get dressed. I then sit there for another 20 minutes until I think I can ride back to the RV park.

I make it back to my tent and that is it for the day. Not my best moment – all my embarrassing moments seem to happen at public pools, even though there were no other visitors there today to see me trying to stay conscious.

Looking down on the river from the travertine cliffs.
View from the river boat ramp.

Leave a Reply